Re: Lua Loader Failure to Include

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:20:53 -0600
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:14 AM Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com> wrote:

> On February 11, 2019 5:05:37 AM PST, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Under the old Forth loader the line:
> >
> >       include /boot/testbed/test_sys
> >
> >would load the file and execute loader commands.
> >
> >However the the Lua loader results in the following:
> >
> >OK include /boot/testbed/amd64-current-r
> >no error message
> >OK
> >
> >Looking at the code, interp_include() expects to run actual Lua code
> >using luaL_dofile(). Is this an intended change?
> >
> >The loader statements the file above is intending to execute are:
> >
> >echo
> >echo
> >echo testbed/amd64-current-r (12.0-CURRENT) loader file selected
> >set bootdev=disk1s4a:
> >include /boot/testbed/current.hints
> >include /boot/testbed/do_load_KOMQUATS
> >
> >Let me know if I am to rewrite these loader statements into Lua or
> >whether the Lua loader should be taught to read loader statements
> >instead.
>
> Thinking about this while travelling to $JOB, it's probably best to leave it as is. I'll rewrite the includes into Lua. The benefit is greater flexibility and functionality.

Indeed, this is the best course of action. The translation shouldn't
be too hard -- the main caveat to note is that your current.hints
include likely can't be required in directly, you'll need to run it
through config.load(). I intend to write up a wiki page or something
for converting common Forth-isms to either portable loader.conf(5)
directives or Lua-specific equivalents, depending on the feasibility
of the former.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans