Re: problem building dev/e1000

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 12:32:03 -0700
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-02-15 at 10:53 -0800, Enji Cooper wrote:
> > > On Feb 15, 2019, at 10:46, Eric Joyner <erj_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > ifdi_if.h is a system generated interface file that network drivers
> > > that depend on iflib use. It's generated from ifdi_if.m in sys/net.
> > >
> > > My guess is that you don't have "device iflib" defined in your
> > > kernel configuration. em(4) depends on iflib in FreeBSD 12/13, and
> > > with r343617, iflib is now explicitly a module that needs to be
> > > included in your kernel config if you want to use a driver that
> > > depends on it. It's already in the GENERIC kernel for amd64; are
> > > you using a kernel config file that doesn't inherit from GENERIC?
> >
> > HO Eric!
> >
> > iflib was a recently added requirement on stable/12 IIRC..?
> >
> > Does the manpage note this dependency, and is there an UPDATING entry
> > for this change?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Enji
> >

> My question would be: why? If some drivers have a new dependency on
> iflib, why isn't that expressed in sys/conf/files and handled
> automatically?

Right now we have

 files:net/iflib.c optional ether pci iflib

in the files file. This would need to change to

files:net/iflib.c optional ether pci (em | igb | ...)

but we don't have a () operator in config. Or we'd need dozens of lines,
and the duplicate elimination code in config has been tricky (though I
didn't check it just now).

Warner