Fwd: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:56:05 +0000
Missed to include current_at_

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: What is evdev and autoloading?
Date: 	Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:02:50 +0000
From: 	Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
To: 	freebsd-hackers_at_freebsd.org

On 2/18/19 11:06 AM, Stefan Blachmann wrote:
> On 2/18/19, Vladimir Kondratyev <vladimir_at_kondratyev.su> wrote:
>> On 2019-02-17 21:03, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>> Anyone have insight into what evdev is?
>> evdev.ko is a small in-kernel library that makes all your input events
>> like keyboard presses libinput-compatible.
> And libinput was created by the Freedesktop Wayland team to create
> pressure on OS people to make their systems Wayland-compatible.
>
>>> I do not need nor what these modules loaded.
>> I think removing "option EVDEV_SUPPORT" from your kernel config should
>> disable most of evdev.ko dependencies
> Shouldn't the EVDEV_SUPPORT default be off on FreeBSD anyway, as well
> as libinput not be part of the standard packages?

Evdev with libinput provide things like, multitouch gestures, horizontal
scrolling, touchpad support, etc, i.e. functionality that one might
expect from a laptop or desktop computer newer than 10 years,  also for X11.

Having it enabled by default doesn't force you to use it but it makes it
a whole lot easier for all of those who want to use it. Please try to
consider what is the best middle ground for ALL users. If you have a
special application for FreeBSD you're probably building your own kernel
anyway and it is easy to disable if needed. Most normal (and especially
new to FreeBSD) desktop/laptop users use stock kernel and would benefit
from having access to this functionality.

Cheers