Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:14:44 +0000
On 2/18/19 10:54 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 08:50:27AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> I think one serious problem here is the summary dismissal of things
>> simply on the "5 year old" basis.
> IIUC the graphics changes are being forced upon FreeBSD by external
> projects (mainly Linux-based) that are making huge architectural changes
> that rely more and more on features from newer hardware.
>
> If our upstreams aren't willing to do the work to keep from violating
> POLA on older hardware, IMHO it's an awful lot to ask of our already
> thinly stretched graphics volunteers to provide it in their stead.
>
> w/rt graphics, we are at far more danger of being left further and
> further behind on modern hardware than we are at risk of losing users
> on older hardware here.

This! Especially, support for modern laptops is important. Personally, I
don't know many developers who use a desktop PC these days (but I do
respect the fact that many do - old PCs as well). My laptop builds world
in 1h30m which is pretty decent. I don't feel a need at all for desktop
computer and I don't want to trade away the freedom of bringing my
laptop with me anywhere for work.

When it comes to attracting new developers, modern laptop support also
plays an important role. Without new developers coming in, this project
will fade out and die.

Another side of graphics which isn't discussed at all is GPU computing
using technologies like Radeon Open Compute, made possible by the amdgpu
driver with KFD (porting work in progress but not a priority atm).
i915kms has GVT for virtualization of the GPU (porting initialized).
These are pretty serious technologies that could potentially lead to
good business (which is now lost to Linux). Modern graphics support
isn't all about fancy desktops and spinning gears.

Totally outside the topic of this thread but I felt like ranting a bit....

PS, if anyone want to help develop an iommu driver for amdkfd, please
let us know :)

Cheers!