Re: r343567 aka PAE vs non-PAE merge breaks i386 freebsd

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 09:58:27 -0800
On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 10:06:53AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> Maybe I missed it, but Steve, did you run the patched in a different way
> tests that I suggested? Replacing the limits with 0xffffffff for testing
> purposes to ensure that drm isn't saying it can cope with larger addresses?
> That might help narrow down what the problem here one more level than "It's
> PAE".

So, I dug through the code a bit.  Niclas changed the port to
use BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR.  This is defined in include/x86/bus.h

#if defined(__amd64__) || defined(PAE)
#define BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR_48BIT 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFULL
#define BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR       0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFULL
#else
#define BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR       0xFFFFFFFF
#endif

I don't know if defined(PAE) is effected by hw.above4g_allow,
or where it gets defined or if it is defined.

--
Steve