Re: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:13:49 -0700
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 8:55 AM Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 18.01.2019 17:10, Kyle Evans wrote:
>
> > There's some UEFI var that's supposed to serve the same kind of
> > purpose as /boot.config -- early boot parameters. I think we had
> > discussed implementing this at some point, but this hasn't been done
> > yet as far as I've seen. Would this be usable on your appliances?
>  How could I set UEFI variable? Via BIOS/UEFI Setup? I don't see this at
> my systems.

If your BIOS allows it, you can set the standard ConOut variables the UEFI
standard defines with the efivar program. In addition, you can add args to
the 'binary blob' part of the BOOT OPTIONS variables (BootXXXX), though
efibootmgr doesn't currently support it (it likely should).

>  Also, there are same problems with GPT/BIOS setup (which uses GPT but
> legacy boot) :-(

What same problems? I don't think we've touched how gptboot has handed off
to /boot/loader in a long, long time. It there's an issue here, it's a
different issue.

Warner