Re: GPT boot has less features than legacy MBR-based one (Was: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config)

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:52:28 +0300
Hello Warner,

Saturday, January 19, 2019, 12:17:29 AM, you wrote:

> Also most UEFI BIOSes I've used (which isn't a lot) allow one to choose
> which BootXXXX variable to use to boot. Some will even create new BootXXXX
> variables that they use when you choose a raw device to boot from.
 I have never seen such item in BIOS Setup. I've checked two MoBos now (one is
Supermicro X9something and other is brand-new Goldmont-based Chinese MiniPC
like Intel NUK): both have one knob in setup about boot type
(Legacy/UEFI/Auto) and if UEFI is selected, Supermicro MoBo (but not Chinese
one) could be booted to "UEFI Console" which is not documented anywhere.

 Ok, I've checked my desktop Asus Z170-A, but it is graphical and I could
not find or understand anything in this home-rown UI with crazy-fast mouse.

 I have never seen documentation in MoBo manuals about such features, BTW.

 And, again, GPT/Legacy still left behind, and it could be very useful for
small systems, as sometimes 4 partitions of MBR is not enough (2 code
partitions + 1 config partition + 1 persistent data partition, and
SOMETIMES, there is place for swap, for example, but MBR is full already).

> But this whole thread tells me we need to rewrite the boot section of our handbook.
 Oh, yes, please!

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev_at_FreeBSD.org