Re: GPT boot has less features than legacy MBR-based one (Was: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config)

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:54:25 +0300
Hello Rebecca,

>  Ok, I've checked my desktop Asus Z170-A, but it is graphical and I could
> not find or understand anything in this home-rown UI with crazy-fast mouse.
> On ASUS systems you normally press F8 during POST to bring up the boot menu, and F11 on Supermicro systems.
 Yes, I know. But what should I do next? There is no  "Set UEFI Boot Var"
item in it. You could select different physical drives (but not partitions
of the drives) and network cards (if PXE is enabled), and, sometimes, "EFI
Shell" which is not documented anywhere, and it doesn't work always.

 When I google "ASUS EFI Shell", for example, all results says about
preparing USB stick with EFI shell and such, not about commands and
variables of EFI shell.

 I don't say, that it is impossible, I only could not find good (or any)
documentation.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev_at_FreeBSD.org