Re: GPT boot has less features than legacy MBR-based one (Was: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config)

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:40:42 +0300
Hello Rebecca,

Sunday, January 20, 2019, 7:27:56 AM, you wrote:

> Ultimately, UEFI doesn't care about disks and partitions: it only really knows
> about ESPs -- FAT12/16/32 formatted partitions that contain the EFI directory
> structure. For now, that means /EFI/BOOT/BOOT{x64,i386,aa64,arm}.efi, the
> Microsoft boot loader in /EFI/Microsoft and GRUB/shim in /EFI/fedora, /EFI/
> opensuse etc.
 Problem is (for me), our code we put in ESP partition doesn't care about
several FreeBSD partitions and ability to continue boot from any of them in
simple way. I have been said, that code in ESP partition looks and some EFI
variables (BootNext & Co), and I could "Set them in BIOS", but all this
thread doesn't have any clues HOW could I set them in BIOS. Need I EFI shell
(which, according to this message must be installed separately!), or something?

 And I repeat for 4th or 5th time: subject is about GPT. GPT/Legacy has same
problem :-)

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev_at_FreeBSD.org