Re: Disabling COMPAT_FREEBSD4/5/6/7/9 as a default kernel option

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 23:04:30 -0700 (PDT)
> rainer_at_ultra-secure.de wrote:
>
> > I have a 32bit FreeBSD 6 binary that I'll need for a bit until the
> > department who is technically responsible for the service gets around
> > redoing that service.
>
> >From my understanding from reading the bug (though it's not entirely clear
> in this thread), this relates to removing the options from the generic (et al.)
> kernels, not deleting the code itself.

That would make GENERIC less than GENERIC as you can not load
these changes as modules, nor would it be easy to make them modules.

> You'd therefore be able to just keep the options enabled in your own
> config..  , or is this just the first stage of full deprecation?

And that too, if you take stuff out of GENERIC it gets built less
often and that often leads to bit rot and that often leads to
deprecation because it "must not be used it has rotted and look
no one has complained."  (Which, imho, is a rotton support model.)

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org