Re: New driver for ESI Juli_at_ soundcard (copied from freebsd-drivers)

From: Alexei Palyutin <ap_at_sndbro.ru>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 18:29:40 +0300
Glad to hear that Juli_at_ XTe also works fine!
Thank You for Your feedback!

Indeed, it is more logical to use "pcm" device instead of "vol", since "vol" is designed to control so-called "master volume", not implemented in Juli_at_. But mixer(8) tries to adjust this "vol" by default, if invoked without device name (mixer 75). It's not difficult to replace "vol" with "pcm" in the driver, but then invocation of mixer(8) as shown above, will result in error "mixer: MIXER_READ: Device not configured", since it assumes "vol" by default. In this case "pcm" device must be explicitly specified every time (mixer pcm 75), I think this is inconvenient.

It woult be nice if there were a flag, driver developer can use to indicate "pcm" is default instead of "vol", but I know nothing about such abilities.

---