Re: Building freebsd on another OS

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:38:11 +0000
On 19/03/2019 00:01, Eric Joyner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 6:35 AM Hans Petter Selasky<hps_at_selasky.org>  wrote:
>
>> See the freebsd-build utils package for Linux.
>>
>> --HPS
>>

> Is there anything for Windows?

Your best bet on Windows is to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux
(WSL).  This lets you install a Linux distro's userland on top of the NT
kernel.  If you install vcxsrv (available in chocolatey) then you can
also run graphical applications.

That said, FreeBSD also runs very well under Hyper-V, so if you have
enough RAM then you may find that a better option.  In my experience,
compilers that spawn a new process for every file (e.g. gcc, clang) are
noticeably faster in a FreeBSD VM on Windows than in WSL or native in
Windows (and a *lot* faster than their cygwin versions).

David