Re: Rotating (efi) framebuffer

From: Tom Jones <thj_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 09:07:59 +0100
On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 09:06:28AM -0700, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Lenovo Ideapad where the screen is rotated 90 degrees and I
> can't rotate it to landscape mode until I'm in X. How many of you are in
> the same situation and would like a fix? Seeing how development is going
> with small (tiny) computers it will probably be more and more common
> with ultra portables having a "phone screen" which most likely is in
> portrait mode by default. This also applies to embedded and home brew /
> prototype devices.
>
> It would certainly be nice if we could have a boot time parameter that
> could rotate the framebuffer (just as a data point, I'm pretty sure
> Linux can do this). How many would be interested in this? Is there
> anyone working on this atm? Not sure I will have the time to develop
> this all of my own but thought I'd check the interest at least. Perhaps
> a GSoC project?

This is an issue on the GPD Pocket and many other devices that use a
tablet screen.

A boot parameter for this would be fine, Linux does it with a
parameter. A quick search shows it is probably: 'fbcon=rotate:1'

I think you could probably detect that the dimensions are swapped, i.e.
taller than you are wide, but there should still be a parameter to allow
manual config.

- [tj]