Re: Got the same error from gptzfsboot this morning

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 22:22:08 +0300
> On 4 May 2019, at 21:34, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 9:12 AM Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Toomas:
>>
>> My laptop has been booting up flawlessly since I installed the
>> gptzfsboot file that you sent.  It also successfully rebooted from a
>> cold start this morning but I received the same error message just a few
>> minutes ago when powering up again.
>>
>> gptzfsboot: error 1 LBA 18446744072709551608
>> gptzfsboot: error 1 LBA 1
>> gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot
>>
>> On my third retry, I was successful.  This is the same LBA and error
>> number that I was getting previously.
>>

> We need to add a disk the error came from indication to that error message.

and better indication where we did fail. But for this error we already did find the source - the geli_taste() goes to negative value with off_t, and then the value is used to read from disk (as unsigned value), hence we will see the error with really huge LBA. So we need to figure out why this happens and how to failsafe this all.

rgds,
toomas