12-STABLE/CURRENT: Dell PowerEdge 2950: Allied Telesis AT-2711FX/SC 100MBit fibre NIC not recognized

From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 08:40:32 +0200
Hello,

running FreeBSD 12-STABLE and FreeBSD 11.2 (OPNsense 19.X) on PowerEdge 2950
server systems (BIOS/Firmware 2.3.1 as of 2013), Allied Telesis AT-2711FX/SC
PCIe 1x Nics are not recognized even by the BIOS/Firmware/hardware as there is
neither a "none_at_busXXXXX" entry popping up when examinating via pciconf() the
presence of hardware nor does FreeBSD report any recognized or not recognized
devices of that kind.

I'm not sure whether those fibre NICs of Allied Telesis (AT-2711FX/SC) are
supported antway by FreeBSD, but I though until now if FreeBSD doesn't have a
clue on a device, it would bring up a "none_at_" message in pciconf reporting
hardware recognized by the firmare/base system but not the OS. Am I wrong
here?

I haven't tested those NICs in more modern hardware as the boxes are on a
remote site, so it takes time to test, therfor, I asked here first.

I need supported fibre NICs for both 100 MBit and 1GBit for FreeBSD 11 as
well as 12 and if there is a suggestion, please, I'm open to it.

Thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann