Re: FCP-101: obsolete driver removal planned for 2019-05-18

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 14:50:39 -0500
On Sat, May 11, 2019, 12:03 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > > I've posted a review to remove obsolete 10 and 10/100 Ethernet drivers
> > > as previous approved in FCP-101.
> > > The following drivers are slated for
> > > removal from FreeBSD-HEAD (to be FreeBSD-13):
> > >
> > > ae, bm, cs, de, ed, ep, ex, fe, pcn, sf, sn, tl, tx, txp, vx, wb, xe
> >
> > OMG ! ed ! That EOL's loads of PC boxes I have (& a show box of
> > spare)  that will never be able to upgrade.
>
> I thought ed was already saved from this process, as that is the NE2000
> driver, probably the most cloned network device on the planet.

It was even a decade ago, but the world moved on. virtualization has
supported newer NICs for years.

Ed(4) doesn't do DMA and is quite limited in terms of what it can do.

But even so, we'd set the threshold at 5 or 10 installed machines running
11 or newer. If Julian legit has that many machines, then we can remove it
from the list. In the initial period of this process, all the folks that
were concerned turned put to not have machines. The nycbug dmesg stats also
showed no use after 8 or so.

Warner