Re: FreeBSD and Coreboot

From: Eric McCorkle <eric_at_metricspace.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 18:50:45 -0400
On 5/27/19 5:53 PM, Edward Napierala wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 16:14, Eric McCorkle <eric_at_metricspace.net> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> My plan is roughly this:
>>
>> * Refurbish the GRUB port, get it working again in QEMU (possibly on one
>> of my machines), also possibly push a patch to GRUB to use the keybufs
>> mechanism to pass in GELI keys.
>>
>> * Get coreboot with GRUB/Seabios booting FreeBSD in QEMU
>>
>> * Possibly create a coreboot port (uncertain how this would work, since
>> Coreboot has its own extensive config menu)
>>
>> * Hold my breath and test it out on real hardware (I have a Librem 13 r1
>> for this purpose)
>>
>> * Possibly try getting the FreeBSD kernel to work as a coreboot payload.
>
> Out of curiosity - why the kernel and not loader(8)?

If I understand coreboot correctly, loader would have to directly
manipulate devices _without a BIOS_.  That is, it would have to have an
entire device detection/interface layer, which I don't believe is the
case today.

At least in the EFI case, loader is talking through the system's EFI
implementation, which takes care of all that for you.  BIOS works in a
similar way.  My sense is getting loader to the point where it could be
a coreboot (without Seabios/GRUB/Tianocore) would be quite an undertaking.