Inconsistent behavior with wpa / devd / network interfaces

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 08:31:45 -0700
Hi

I have a bridge and an ethernet/wifi lagg failover like this:

# First define all cloned interfaces
cloned_interfaces="bridge0 lagg0"

# bhyve bridge
ifconfig_bridge0="inet 192.168.8.1/24 addm lagg0 up"

# Ethernet/WiFi failvoer
ifconfig_em0="up"
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA up"
create_args_wlan0="wlanaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP up"

When I move between home and work networks and plug in the network cable
it sometimes reconfigure and sometimes (mostly) not. Looking at devd
output from a failed occasion and I can see that it calls dhclient on
em0 and not lagg0. But it since it works sometimes I don't know if this
is correct or not (I would expect lagg0 and not em0 but manually running
this command with either em0 or lagg0 doesn't do anything)...

devd log: Executing 'service dhclient quietstart $'em0''

In addition to this, I often have to run ifconfig wlan0 scan (or service
netif restart) or to have the it reconnect to a different wifi. It
doesn't seem to be doing any periodical scanning and reconnecting at all
(but maybe that's a different issue).

For sometime now I usually have to run service netif restart to get
network working after switching location, followed by adding all my VM
tap interfaces to the bridge manually, and restarting bhyve guests
because they lose connectivity.. It's getting a bit tiring and I would
like to find a solution.

Do I have something weird in my setup causing this? I don't recall ever
having this issue when not using failover lagg. Running recent 13-CURRENT.

Thanks!
/Johannes