Re: CURRENT October images do not create a bootable install

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:43:33 +0200
> On 8. Nov 2019, at 20:34, Chris <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 10:32:25 +0100 gljennjohn_at_gmail.com <mailto:gljennjohn_at_gmail.com> said
>
>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 09:41:01 -0800
>> Chris <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com> wrote:
>> > On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 17:28:16 +0200 Toomas Soome tsoome_at_me.com said
>> > NT is?
>> > IOW I attempted in early October to install each of the (13-CURRENT) instal
>> > images available. Both on a 500Gb disk, and a 1Tb disk. All w/o success. In
>> > desperation, I settled for the then (most recent) RELENG-12. 12 installed
>> > as all previous FreeBSD installs have done successfully.
>> > So something in (recent) 13' boot layout has changed. I can boot Legacy/UEF
>> > I/GPT
>> > on 12. But cannot boot at all in recent 13.
>> >
>> I noticed that your 12 disk has Stripesize: 0 on all partitions
>> but 13 has Stripesize: 4096 on all partitions.
>> My bootable 13 disk has Stripesize: 0 on all partitions.
>> Whether that is the cause of your problem I can't say.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Gary.
> Toomas also had some valuable input on my problem booting 13.
> In any case. I used the installer to create the disk layout. I didn't
> do anything different than I have for many years installing FreeBSD from
> the install sources. What puzzles me, is that RELENG-12 creates a
> bootable install, whereas 13-CURRENT won't.
> I've manually setup disks innumerable times in the past. I'll see
> if doing so produces bootable media doing it from a 13-CURRENT live
> DVD, or MEMSTICK, and report my findings.
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Gary.

Did you manage to check what is in your efi (ESP) partition? Also, can you confirm if your system is set to boot in BIOS or UEFI mode? Note this may be tricky to figure, for example my AMI bios depends on which device is set for boot device. Also for UEFI boot, we do not support secure boot.

rgds,
toomas