Re: breakage at usr.sbin/jail/Makefile

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 06:33:11 -0500
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 23:19, Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> the issue seems to be on my amd64 system ${LINKER_TYPE} is not defined.
> i was contemplating suggesting updating the .if clause in the Makefile
> like so:
>
> .if defined($LINKER_TYPE}) && ${LINKER_TYPE} == "bfd" && ${MACHINE} ==
> "riscv"

Yes, this is the approach I went with - Cirrus-CI started building my
proposed change last night but it wasn't finished before I was. When I
checked this morning it confirmed the fix works. In any case the best
fix here will be to resolve the underlying RISC-V binutils issue and
revert all of the workarounds.

Note that FreeBSD's CI did not catch this issue because it builds with
-DNO_CLEAN. I also build locally with -DNO_CLEAN and wouldn't have
seen it either. In my opinion we ought to just remove the not-NO_CLEAN
case from buildworld/buildkernel.