Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:07:16 -0700
On 10/22/19 8:42 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 04:34:53PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On 10/18/19 10:05 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> i've made my -CURRENT world and installed, but "make delete-old" tells
>>> me it cannot remove some directories:

>>> rmdir: /usr/share/dtrace: Directory not empty
>>> rmdir: /usr/lib/dtrace: Directory not empty
>
> Apparently, these are because I've started to put WITHOUT_CDDL=yes in
> /etc/src.conf since recently:
>
> $ find /usr/lib/dtrace -type f
> /usr/lib/dtrace/siftr.d
> /usr/lib/dtrace/mbuf.d
> /usr/lib/dtrace/socket.d
>
> $ find /usr/share/dtrace -type f
> /usr/share/dtrace/nfsattrstats
> /usr/share/dtrace/siftr
> /usr/share/dtrace/blocking
> /usr/share/dtrace/tcpdebug>
> I can see some dtrace/*.d files in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, perhaps
> these are missing?

Probably.

>>> # find /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
>>> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
>>> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/lib4758cca.so.debug
>>
>> These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
>> OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
>> deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
>> old libraries?
>
> I've manually placed one of those back on the filesystem and `make
> check-old' reported it (twice!) under libraries.  But after r353907 it
> get cleaned up properly with `make delete-old'.

Hmm, then 'make delete-old-libs' should already delete them without needing
r353907.  The issue with r353907 is if someone doesn't delete the
actual libraries via 'make delete-old-libs' but then tries to debug an
application that was using the old openssl and crashed, we'd no longer
have debug symbols if the crash was in one of those libraries.  That
matters less for OpenSSL engines, but matters more for something like
libutil, etc. hence why we delete debug symbols as part of delete-old-libs
instead of delete-old.

If 'make delete-old-libs' deletes these files already, then we should
probably revert r353907.

--
John Baldwin