Re: fusefs & ntfs-3g

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 17:19:30 -0700
On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 4:46 PM Michael Butler <imb_at_protected-networks.net>
wrote:

> On 9/8/19 7:09 PM, Alan Somers wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM Clay Daniels Jr. <
> clay.daniels.jr_at_gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I want to view my Windows C: drive on ata0p4.
> >> This is what I have:
> [...]
> >> root_at_bsd13:/home/clay # ntfs-3g -o default_permissons /dev/ada0p4 /mnt
> >> * Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
> >> The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
> >> Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
> >> Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an
> unsafe
> >> state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation
> >> or fast restarting.
> >>
> >> I'm having a roadblock here. Maybe someone knows the answer.
> >>

> > I'm assuming that you already ascertained that the Windows file system
> was
> > in fact clean?  If so, then this sounds like a problem with fusefs-ntfs,
> > not with fuse in general.  I've CC'd its maintainer.  He may be able to
> > help you.
> > -Alan
>
> Windows-10 has a changed default; it does the equivalent of hibernation
> to facilitate "fast start". ntfs-3g won't touch a partition for writing
> in that mode :-(
>
> If I recall correctly, there is a setting you must change from in
> Windows under control panel -> system -> power and sleep. From there you
> should be able to disable the "fast start" option and, after shutting
> down, ntfs-3g will allow a read/write mount,

I can confirm this. It is documented, but not obvious. You ave two choices:
1. Change the system setting, more or less as Michael suggests. I'm away
from my only W10 system, so I can't check the exact details.
2. Force a full shutdown by starting a command window and entering
"shutdown /s  /f /t 0". This is a one-time full shutdown.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com