TSC-low clock slow on WhiskeyLake i7-8565U (HP Spectre x360 13-ap0043dx)

From: Neel Chauhan <neel_at_neelc.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:07:39 -0400
Hi,

I recently got a HP Spectre x360 13-ap0043dx as a gift and by default
the clock runs slower on FreeBSD than Windows or Linux. Yes, I know the
ThinkPad is the best laptop for FreeBSD, but getting an X1 Carbon would
increase the price of the gift even more which couldn't be done.

The kern.timecounter.hardware by default is set to TSC-low and the clock
is slow on the Spectre x360. Setting it to ACPI-slow resolves this
issue.

The CPU is a Intel WhiskeyLake Core i7-8565U.

Is the slow TSC-low an issue with WhiskeyLake in general or specifically
HP? Is it something else?

I am considering writing a patch but before I write one, do other people
with WhiskeyLake laptops (or newer) have slow clocks (where one second
on the system is actually more in real life), or not.

-Neel

===

https://www.neelc.org/