Re: Source tree has many empty directories?

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 21:41:03 +0200
On 10 Sep 2019, at 20:14, Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-09-10 at 11:01 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>> However, please do *NOT* remove the sys/*/compile directories.
>>
>> Warner
>
> Uhhh... that's interesting.  I just nuked one of those on my system
> yesterday, because it had been hanging around since 2013 and I had no
> idea what was -- I just assumed the build machinery created it because
> I had accidentally done a make in a wrong directory once.
>
> So what are those directories about?  I'm not used to seeing mystery
> directories appear inside a source tree.

There's not much mystery to be found.  Subversion does not warn you when you
remove the last files from a directory, and it also does not automatically
remove such empty directories, like Git.  Hence, those directories tend to
stick around, because every simply forgets about them.

With regards to those empty directories under contrib/llvm, those were actually
imported from upstream.  But since the llvm project will switch to Git soon,
this problem will automagically disappear. :-)

-Dimitry