Re: Lockdown adaX numbers to allow booting ?

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 18:47:26 +0200
On 19/09/19 18:04, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> What about gpart output of the pool drives?
>
> In general you would create zpools using gptids or gpt labels, not the devices, so you’re independent of device numbering. The boot loader should only be installed on drives that contain the boot pool (maybe you have old boot loaders on data drives?).

Actually the installer will at least some times use the adaX device to
create ZFS pools. At least it did for me when I recently rebuilt a
machine after a (multiple) disk crash.

So it could not be Kurt fault if he has a pool with adaX devices in it.

I installed the system on one disk and the installed used adaX to create
the pool. I added the second disk to the mirror a few days later.

Now I have:

  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 24.6G in 0 days 00:09:41 with 0 errors on Tue Sep  3
16:10:08 2019
config:

	NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zroot         ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p4    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gpt/zfs1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Now, in the case of a mirror (or a zraid) this could be fixed by
detaching adaX devices and reattaching them using the label. Disvantage
is the cluster will need to resilver, causing some degraded time and
extra disk load.

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>