Why is the console a graphic/bitmapped console, and not text/character by default

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 21:41:40 -0700
Sorry for the ling title. But wasn't sure how make my
question more concise.
Why did we begin making an initial console "graphics mode"
by default. My understanding has always been that (Free)BSD
has been a "Server by default", and a Desktop after an initial
install if that's one chosen target.
It's near impossible to perform initial configuration
in graphics mode, using a mouse to cut/copy/paste does *not*
work as intended. Which requires one to make the necessary
changes "breaking to the new system" after install completes
to change initiation to test-mode before bouncing the box.
While this "works" for long-time users. It's an *extra*, and
seemingly *unnecessary* step. It is also likely to behoove
first-time/new users -- except those already targeting a
Desktop.

Thanks for any insight into this! :)

--Chris