Re: buildkernel failure because ctfconvert not installed

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 09:41:11 -0600
> On Apr 10, 2020, at 12:57 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> --------
> In message <9f03fb79-a0ad-3c11-9a50-bc7731882da9_at_fastmail.com>, Yuri Pankov writes:
>> Trond Endrestøl wrote:

>>> It's either WITH_xxx=yes or WITHOUT_xxx=yes.
>>
>> Or even WITH_xxx= or WITHOUT_xxx=, src.conf(5) explicitly states that
>> value is NOT checked:
>>
>> The values of variables are ignored regardless of their setting; even if
>> they would be set to "FALSE" or "NO".  The presence of an option
>> causes it to be honored by make(1).
>
> That is not even close to POLA-compliance...
>
> Obviously negative values ("false", "no") should either be reported as
> errors or preferably be respected.
>
> PS: [This is not the bikeshed you are looking for]

I remember being slightly astonished by the current behavior in the early/mid 2000’s.  Then
I learned, adapted, and got over it.  Change happens, often for the best.  Being stuck in the
past doesn’t help, and neither does Rodney’s action of berating, belittling, and gaslighting
people who don't agree with him.

POLA is a good mental check to help guide decisions, but it’s not set in stone.  Nothing
should be set in stone, we should all be willing and able to evaluate circumstances and
make new decisions.  Being robotic and set in stone is an excuse for being lazy and/or
egotistical.

Scott