Re: OpenZFS port updated

From: Ryan Moeller <freqlabs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 17:54:14 -0400
> On Apr 17, 2020, at 4:56 PM, Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>
> On 4/17/20 11:35 AM, Ryan Moeller wrote:
>> FreeBSD support has been merged into the master branch of the openzfs/zfs repository, and the FreeBSD ports have been switched to this branch.
> Congratulations on this effort - big milestone!
>> OpenZFS brings many exciting features to FreeBSD, including:
>>  * native encryption
> Is there a good doc reference on available for using this?  I believe this is zfs filesystem level encryption and not a replacement for our existing full-disk-encryption scheme that currently works?

I’m not aware of a good current doc for this. If anyone finds/writes something, please post it!
There are some old resources you can find with a quick search that do a pretty good job of covering the basic ideas, but I think the exact syntax of commands may be slightly changed in the final implementation.

The encryption is performed at a filesystem level (per-dataset).