Re: OpenZFS port updated

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 21:16:36 -0400
On 2020-04-17 17:40, Mel Pilgrim wrote:
> On 2020-04-17 13:31, Kyle Evans wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:14 PM Mel Pilgrim
>> <list_freebsd_at_bluerosetech.com> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> To be clear, this means OpenZFS currently does not support / on
>>> GELI-encrypted disks, correct?
>>
>> If you have a legacy setup with a bootpool, that is correct. Since
>> 12.0+ the bootpool is almost completely redundant except for some odd
>> setup that I can never remember. For legacy setups, the bootpool
>> can/should be merged into your root pool if it's feasible.
>
> Yes, these are the "legacy" configuration with a small, unecrypted pool
> containing /boot and the keys to attach the encrypted root pool.
>
> Could the case you're thinking of be avoiding manual entry of a password
> at boot?

If you still have a bootpool, you can migrate to a single pool (so boot
environments work), using these instructions:
https://ftfl.ca/blog/2016-09-17-zfs-fde-one-pool-conversion.html

If the pool would boot without GELI, it still will with GELI, however,
if you use any of the newer features not supported by the boot loader,
then it will not be able to read the kernel from the boot (encrypted or not)

--
Allan Jude