Re: nfslockd kernel module fails to load

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 08:30:08 +0200
Quoting Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> (from Thu, 23 Apr
2020 09:19:08 +0300):

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 08:08:09AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> link_elf_obj: symbol xdr_free undefined
>> linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/nfslockd.ko - unsupported file type
>> KLD nfsd.ko: depends on nfslockd - not available or version mismatch
>> linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/nfsd.ko - unsupported file type
>>
>> The xdr kernel module is loaded.
>
> The following should help.

>  /* So that loader and kldload(2) can find us, wherever we are.. */
> +MODULE_DEPEND(nfslockd, xdr, 1, 1, 1);
>  MODULE_DEPEND(nfslockd, krpc, 1, 1, 1);

I thought MODULE_DEPEND is only a way to tell the loader / kldload
that the other module is to be loaded in case it is not in the kernel
/ loaded already. Is this only a part of what it does and / or did
this change and now it is also needed so that a kernel module is able
to resolve the symbols? In my case the module is loaded already when I
try to load the nfslockd module.

Bye,
Alexander.

--