Re: Ordering of files in zoneinfo

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:23:18 -0400
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 07:23, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> > I wonder if we could drop the sort and replace ${TZS} in line 100 with
> > ${TZS:O} instead?
>
> Makes sense to me.

Agreed, that seems sensible.

> > By the way, looking at
> > https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/libpkg/metalog.c , I wonder if
> > the sort should really happen in pkg(8) instead?
>
> Currently the METALOG is also used when creating the tarballs so sorting
> only in pkg would be insufficient as long as tarballs are still supported.

I think there are other reasons we'd like to keep METALOG itself in
deterministic order too, even if pkg can take care of it -- for
example, issues like PR234886 can be triggered by ordering (even
though the root cause is elsewhere and TZ ordering isn't going to lead
to exactly that kind of issue).