Re: can buffer cache pages be used in ext_pgs mbufs?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:10:39 +0000
Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:46:00AM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
>> Konstantin Belousov wrote:

>> >I do not know the exact answer, this is why I did not followed up on the
>> >original question on current_at_.  In particular, I have no idea about the
>> >ext_pgs mechanism.
>> >
>> >Still I can point one semi-obvious aspect of your proposal.
>> >
>> >When the buffer is written (with bwrite()), its pages are sbusied and
>> >the write mappings of them are invalidated. The end effect is that no
>> >modifications to the pages are possible until they are unbusied. This,
>> >together with the lock of the buffer that holds the pages, effectively
>> >stops all writes either through write(2) or by mmaped regions.
>> >
>> >In other words, any access for write to the range of file designated by
>> >the buffer, causes the thread to block until the pages are unbusied and
>> >the buffer is unlocked.  Which in described case would mean, until NFS
>> >server responds.
>> >
>> >If this is fine, then ok.
>> For what I am thinking of, I would say that is fine, since the ktls code reads
>> the pages to encrypt/send them, but can use other allocated pages for
>> the encrypted data.
>>
>> >Rick, do you know anything about the vm page lifecycle as mb_ext_pgs ?
>> Well, the anonymous pages (the only ones I've been using sofar) are
>> allocated with:
>>         vm_page_alloc(NULL, 0, VM_ALLOC_NORMAL | VM_ALLOC_NOOBJ |
>>                VM_ALLOC_NODUMP | VM_ALLOC_WIRED);
>>
>> and then the m_ext_ext_free function (mb_free_mext_pgs()) does:
>>         vm_page_unwire_noq(pg);
>>         vm_page_free(pg);
>> on each of them.
>>
>> m->m_ext_ext_free() is called in tls_encrypt() when it no longer wants the
>> pages, but is normally called via m_free(m), which calls mb_free_extpg(m),
>> although there are a few other places.
>>
>> Since m_ext_ext_free is whatever function you want to make it, I suppose the
>> answer is "until your m_ext.ext_free" function is called.
>>
>> At this time, for ktls, if you are using software encryption, the call to ktls_encrypt(),
>> which is done before passing the mbufs down to TCP is when it is done with the
>> unencrypted data pages. (I suppose there is no absolute guarantee that this
>> happens before the kernel RPC layer times out waiting for an RPC reply, but it
>> is almost inconceivable, since this happens before the RPC request is passed
>> down to TCP.)
>>
>> The case I now think is more problematic is the "hardware assist" case. Although
>> no hardware/driver yet does this afaik, I suspect that the unencrypted data page
>> mbufs could end up stuck in TCP for a long time, in case a retransmit is needed.
>>
>> So, I now think I might need to delay the bufdone() call until the m_ext_ext_free()
>> call has been done for the pages, if they are buffer cache pages?
>> --> Usually I would expect the m_ext_ext_free() call for the mbuf(s) that
>>        hold the data to be written to the server to be done long before
> [...]
I am now thinking that this is done exactly as you describe above and
doesn't require any changes.

The change I am planning is below the strategy routine in the function
that does the write RPC.
It currently copies the data from the buffer into mbuf clusters.
After this change, it would put the physical page #s for the buffer in the
mbuf(s) and then wait for them all to be m_ext_ext_free()d before calling
bufdone().
--> The only difference is the wait before the bufdone() call in the RPC layer
       below the strategy routine. (bufdone() is the only call the NFS client
       seems to do below the strategy routine, so I assume it ends the state
       you describe above?)

rick