Re: Issues with USB-C external monitors

From: Ali Abdallah <ali.abdallah_at_suse.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 08:00:11 +0100
On 01.12.2020 11:08, Scott Long wrote:
> I have a work-in-progress to support Thunderbolt, but that’s not always the same as just DisplayPort-over-USBC.  If your connector has the Thunderbolt logo, then it’s Thunderbolt, if it has the DP logo then it’s not.  Even then, the Thunderbolt component only controls enable/disable permissions and bandwidth partitioning.  The graphics chip and DRM code does the rest of the work, and it sounds like the problems here are with those components.

T495 has AMD Ryzen silicon, and AMD never associated Thunderbolt with
its Ryzen platforms. The dock connector is just a USB-C.

On dock removal, the devd events (system DRM, type HOTPLUG) are
correctly generated and received by libudev-devd, but then for some
reason UD_ACTION_HOTPLUG is not causing the X server to re-scan drm
connectors and to re-configure them.

Will dig further into the issue as I feel it should be easy to solve.

> Scott

Ali