Re: Removing obsolete GDB 6.1.1 for FreeBSD 13

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 14:28:44 -0500
Adding the FreeBSD-stable list to CC for more visibility.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 12:43, Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> I would like to remove GDB 6.1.1 before FreeBSD 13, and propose to
> switch the GDB knob to default to NO in the near future. If the
> crashinfo utility and related man pages do not already include
> references to installing the gdb port/package I will add those before
> making the change.

The crashinfo man page now references the gdb port/package, and
crashinfo itself emits a message that the port/package should be
installed if kgdb is not found.

GDB's proposed retirement has now been added to
https://wiki.freebsd.org/DeprecationPlan.

I expect to make GDB default to NO next week, and then remove it from
the tree a week or two later, if there is no compelling objection.