Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:47:48 -0700
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:33 AM Andreas Ott <andreas_at_naund.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:46:35PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > This switch will preserve much of the current FreeBSD development
> workflow.
> > After the switch, the subversion repo will become almost read-only.
>
> Will there be an update to the build from source instructions in
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> ?

Yes, eventually. There's also a transition to asciidoc going on in doc
land, and I didn't want to make it harder by churning things for them while
that was in progress.

> I am also interested in a (one-time) migration procedure from svn or
> svnlite to git, primarily for my servers that are tracking -CURRENT.

I've put together some docs on this.
https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/ has them all.

https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/src-cvt.md has the
specifics, but I'm still polishing it. It has the basics, but the examples
still need work.

The tl;dr version, though, is that you'll have to pull a fresh tree from
the git repo once we make the cutover and then use git to update that tree.
Other than that, the rest of the instructions are the same. If you have
local changes, then

https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/mini-primer.md

also has some details beyond the basics.

Warner