Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Filippo Moretti <filippomore_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 20:11:25 +0000 (UTC)

I tried cloning with the following result:
[root_at_STING /home/filippo]# git clone -o freebsd -b main https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src
Cloning into '/usr/src'...
fatal: repository 'https://git.freebsd.org/src.git/' not found

Should I wait past the weekend to clone?Filippo
    On Thursday, December 17, 2020, 8:53:22 PM GMT+1, Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

 On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:06 PM Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>

> > On 12/16/20 7:46 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > The FreeBSD project will be moving it's source repo from subversion to
> > git
> > > starting this this weekend. The docs repo was moved 2 weeks ago. The
> > ports
> > > repo will move at the end of March, 2021 due to timing issues.
> > >
> > > The short version is that we're switching the version control we're
> > using.
> > > This switch will preserve much of the current FreeBSD development
> > workflow.
> > > After the switch, the subversion repo will become almost read-only. All
> > > future work will be done in git, however as a transition aide we'll be
> > > replaying the MFCs to stable/11, stable/12 and the related releng
> > branches
> > > for the life of those branches.
> > >
> > > For more detailed information, please see
> > > https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/ for the current
> > documentation.
> > >
> > > Please see https://wiki.freebsd.org/git for the latest detailed
> schedule
> > > (please note that this schedule is subject to change).
> > >
> > > Warner
> > >

> > One question I didn't see in the (excellent!) docs is whether we should
> > be PGP-signing commits or not. Is that encouraged?
> >

> We've not started doing that in general. I don't think signing would cause
> issues, but since it is a bit of an unknown, we've not taken a position on
> this.
>
> Warner (on behalf of the git working group)

I hope we don't have to start signing all commits.  saltstack/salt has that
policy, and it's extremely annoying.
-Alan