Re: git tools for building in base?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:31:40 -0700
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:24 AM Gleb Popov <arrowd_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 7:50 PM Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

>> > This is a draft document discussing exactly this (I'm not the author,
>> > imp was)
>> >
>> > https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/git-why.md
>>

>> My blog
>>
>> http://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2020/09/freebsd-subversion-to-git-migration.html
>>
>> And this video I did
>> https://youtu.be/uj1Ricrq0bs that starts with an old in joke...
>>
>> Warner
>>

> I can't find anything about Mercurial in all three links.

Yes. I was answering the first question asked about FreeBSD and git...

The clincher for me was that git is better supported by third party tools
and has gotten quite good at 'recovery from oops' which mercurial is still
lacking in both areas. I too have used both, and I had to re clone my hg
tree several times, but so far have never screwed up a git repo so bad I
had to reclone... The history rewriting of git is more integrated and more
polished than the equivalent in hg, as are the rebase workflows which
really help have a cleaner history...

Warner