Re: FreeBSD-CURRENT VirtualBox guest: EFI: lost the ability to boot

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 23:10:22 +0000
On 20/12/2020 00:31, Graham Perrin wrote:

> … With the boot maintenance manager of VirtualBox, I
> <https://imgur.com/BTsj4zS> navigated to loader.efi, added it as a
> boot option (I lazily named it 'loader.efi') then set it as primary
> <https://imgur.com/FYnHynr> after which:
>
> * normal resets or restarts of the VM do successfully boot
>
> – and if I change the boot order to make 'EFI Hard Drive' primary and
> 'loader.efi' last, boots fail (drop outs to the EFI shell).
>
> <https://imgur.com/MYLowDt> and <https://imgur.com/G3SKMZh> it appears
> that 'EFI Hard Drive' and 'EFI DVD/CDROM' have the same path. Surely
> wrong, I can think of nothing that might have caused this.

The boot manager of VirtualBox repeatedly lost the working boot option
that I repeatedly added, leaving a non-working 'EFI Hard drive' option.

I tried releasing the virtual disk, creating a new hard disk-less
virtual machine with EFI enabled, then added the disk. First boot
failed, dropped to EFI. It worked after I manually added a boot option
to the boot manager but then again the working option was lost.

Is this symptomatic of a bug with VirtualBox?

This weekend I sort of lost the ability to think straight :-)