Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:10:57 -0500
On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:39 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:46:35PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>>
>> The FreeBSD project will be moving it's source repo from subversion to git
>> starting this this weekend. The docs repo was moved 2 weeks ago. The ports
>> repo will move at the end of March, 2021 due to timing issues.
>>

> Is there some way to obtain git on a Pi2B running
> 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #2 r365692
> without installing the ports tree? I expected
> to find git in base, but it isn't there.
>
> Can it be found  under another package name?
>
> Thanks for reading, and any guidance!

Git (and git-lite) are available only in ports/packages at the moment.  For those wanting to track src via git, you need to install it from there.  I believe any plans for a git-compatible tool in base would be derived from Got (devel/got) due to licensing.

But, unless I'm mistaken, there is no need to install git to be able to continue to get copies of src.  It's only developers who need to commit changes to src that need to switch over to git in the near future.  Just as FreeBSD's src has been made available as a Git repository from the canonical Subversion repo (e.g., on GitHub), I'm sure the reverse will be true for some time and you'll be able to continue to get src updates via Subversion.  That would surely be the case for existing releases (otherwise it would be a huge POLA violation).

I track NetBSD src via Git, even though that project currently officially uses CVS.

Cheers,

Paul.