Re: src: continued use of Subversion for getting updates

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 15:35:45 +0100
Jeffrey Bouquet wrote in
 <E1ks2I6-0005nh-BQ_at_rmmprod05.runbox>:
 |On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 11:13:07 +0100, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks_at_gmail.c\
 |om> wrote:
 |> On 23/12/2020 09:49, Warner Losh wrote:
 |>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020, 1:48 AM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> \
 |>> wrote:
 |> First of all a big thank you for all your time and effort you and all
 |> the other people put in this tremendous task.

Yes, it is great to have FreeBSD as a stable git repository now,
not only due to "gc --aggressive --prune=all" and the possibility
to use (pseudo) bare repositories without checkouts, but also
because of this.  Downloaded it today (from fresh), currently
doing the mentioned command, but it may be it does not reduce that
much :)

I really dislike that vendor imports have been tagged.  Because
there is only one tag namespace you cannot avoid getting all this
cruft.  I mean, it is too late now, but one could have used
per-vendor import branches and step them via "git rm -rf '*' &&
tar -xf newball && git add . && git commit bla" or whatever, and
then join them in.  It does not matter for those who have all the
repository, but you decided to loose one of the strengts of git,
selective tracking.  Also i think it causes updates to require
more network traffic, i see this with the repos i have at
repo.or.cz, the one with few heads/tags is minimal, the other
requires hundreds of kilobytes just for the check that happens
many times a day.  All these references have to be compared each
and every time.  I think.  On the other hand, a few years back
i accidentally "heard" a discussion about improving the network
protocol and that "head" reference matching, iirc, so it may
change in the future.

Ciao,

--steffen