Re: git tools for building in base?

From: Charlie Li <ml+freebsd_at_vishwin.info>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 17:05:49 -0500
Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> I don't fully recall, but I think that the hg conversion was slow and
> the disk space needed was quite a bit more than git.

One of Mercurial's biggest design principles is immutable history (with
history rewriting disabled by default), so increased disk space compared
to git is reasonable.
> So in summary, I guess it can be summed up as:
> - there was no svn-all-fast-export for hg back then
> - even bitbucket switched from hg to git
Bitbucket dropping Mercurial support was more a business decision,
although more ancillary tooling for git existing and developer appetite
certainly played factors there.
> - history rewriting is easier in git, see e.g. this file for the stuff
> that's required to make the cvs2svn things a bit nicer:
> https://github.com/freebsd/git_conv/blob/master/fix_bogus_tags.sh
>
> Granted, now that the heavy lifting is done, one could probably do a
> git2hg transition, as the history is now pretty sane and should be
> compatible to the hg model.

Mercurial's branches are more similar to subversion than git. The hg
analogue to git's branches are bookmarks, for which even they are
optional since hg has its heads concept.
> But lack of anyone (to my knowledge?) providing a hg copy of FreeBSD all
> these years tells me that there's simply no demand for it.

I use hg-beta for ports. Also used it for src up until git-beta came
online. Not sure what I will do once ports is converted to git, however.

My mercurial use stems from two sources: committers' need to preserve
copy/move history (though this will probably go away with git) and
horrendous performance with the ports tree in git. Horrendous as in, for
example, takes about five minutes just to run git-status(1) on a ports
tree stored on a hard drive with UFS (-uno doesn't help) whilst locking
up the entire system I/O for the duration. The I/O lockups have since
subsided but as of six months ago the slow enumeration has persisted.
For some reason, mercurial is far more efficient in this regard.

--
Charlie Li
…nope, still don't have an exit line.