Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 00:22:24 -0000
> Disclaimer: I just started to learn git, never used it before.

> If I do understand it correctly, the switch from svn to git comes with a loss of continuously increasing revision numbers. Correct? If so I wonder how future security advisories and errata notices will be composed. Will there be a date of the commit besides its hash being reported?

> In the past I could easily judge if there was a need to buildworld or buildkernel: If uname shows a larger revision number than those in advisories or notices.

> Question: How may one find out whether to recompile or not in the future?

> Thanks and regards,
> Michael

It is good to have a revision number available through uname -a or otherwise.

Not sure about how Haiku does that, but Haiku uses tags that are noticeable when downloading (git clone or pull).  I believe tags show the revision number.

I haven't run Haiku in several years; all I have is USB-stick image from November 2012, downloaded 2014 (?), too old to be able to compile newer versions, and trying to cross-compile from FreeBSD or NetBSD has never been successful.

Tom