Re: 13-Current not format efi partition

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 03:22:58 -0000
from Andrey Fesenko:

> bsdinstall script, work in 2019

 PARTITIONS="$DISKSLICE GPT { 512K freebsd-boot, 1M efi, auto freebsd-ufs / }
 #!/bin/sh -x
 # Make diskname independante
 gpart modify -l freebsd-boot -i 1 ada0
 gpart modify -l efi -i 2 ada0
 gpart modify -l root -i 3 ada0
 # Make EFI happy
 mount_msdosfs /dev/gpt/efi /media/
 mkdir -p /media/EFI/BOOT/
 cp /boot/loader.efi /media/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX86.efi
 umount /media/

> FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-amd64-20200206-r357606-disc1.iso not format efi partition

I haven't used bsdinstall since 9.0-BETA1; I subsequently built from source.

Does bsdinstall script actually do newfs_msdos on the EFI system partition?  1M seems quite small, if you want the possibility of booting other OSes.

Shouldn't the EFI system partition be the first partition on the disk?  Why have both freebsd-boot and efi partitions?

I never got the freebsd-boot partition to work except on a USB stick where FreeBSD was the only OS installed.

Now, if I were installing FreeBSD onto a USB stick, I would use an EFI system partition (FAT16, maybe even FAT12 would work, would be too small for FAT32) and no freebsd-boot partition.

Booting by UEFI would not use or need a freebsd-boot partition.

Tom