Re: After update to r357104 build of poudriere jail fails with 'out of swap space'

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 05:09:06 -0800
In message <202001261745.00QHjkuW044006_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Rodney W.
Grimes"
writes:
> > In message <20200125233116.GA49916_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Steve
> > Kargl w
> > rites:
> ingt

> ur l
> > > aptop have?
> > >
> > > 2 cores.
> >
> > This is why.

> > > I use portmaster, and AFIACT, it uses 'make -j 2' for the build.
> > > Laptop isn't doing too much, but an update and browsing.  It does
> > > take a long time especially if building llvm is required.
> >
> > I use portmaster as well (for quick incidental builds). It uses
> > MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=4 (which is equivalent to make -j 4). I suppose machines
> > with not enough memory to support their cores with certain builds might
> > have a better chance of having this problem.
> >
> > MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT to limit a 4 core machine with less than 2 GB per
> > core might be an option. Looking at it this way, instead of an extra 3 GB,
> > the extra 60% more memory in the other machine makes a big difference. A
> > rule of thumb would probably be, have ~ 2 GB RAM for every core or thread
> > when doing large parallel builds.
>
> Perhaps we need to redo some boot time calculations, for one the
> ZFS arch cache, IMHO, is just silly at a fixed percent of total
> memory.  A high percentage at that.
>
> One idea based on what you just said might be:
>
> percore_memory_reserve = 2G (Your number, I personally would use 1G here)
> arc_max = MAX(memory size - (Cores * percore_memory_reserve), 512mb)
>
> I think that simple change would go a long ways to cutting down the
> number of OOM reports we see.  ALSO IMHO there should be a way for
> sub systems to easily tell zfs they are memory pigs too and need to
> share the space.  Ie, bhyve is horrible if you do not tune zfs arc
> based on how much memory your using up for VM's.
>
> Another formulation might be
> percore_memory_reserve = alpha * memory_zire / cores
>
> Alpha most likely falling in the 0.25 to 0.5 range, I think this one
> would have better scalability, would need to run some numbers.
> Probably needs to become non linear above some core count.

Setting a lower arc_max at boot is unlikely to help. Rust was building on
the 8 GB and 5 GB 4 core machines last night. It completed successfully on
the 8 GB machine, while using 12 MB of swap. ARC was at 1307 MB.

On the 5 GB 4 core machine the rust build died of OOM. 328 KB swap was
used. ARC was reported at 941 MB. arc_min on this machine is 489.2 MB.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>