Re: ipv6_ipfilter_rules= is obsolete ?

From: Ernie Luzar <luzar722_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 10:28:48 -0400
Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:27:02 +0800
> Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting, though I would not remove it.  It should be marked as
>>> depricated and the /etc/rc.d/ipfilter shell script updated to emit
>>> a warning that it is depricated, but it should still be processed
>>> to retain backwards compatibility and NOT lock someone out of a
>>> system who has just done an upgrade to a newer version.
>>>
>> Do you mean deprecated or depricated?
>> Got confused here! Sorry English is hard for non-native speakers.
>>

> It's a typo - he meant deprecated.

This "retain backwards compatibility stuff" can be taken too far
backwards. I think ipfilter first can out with NO ipv6 support, then
ipv6 was added using 2 rule files, and later yet it was redesigned to
use a single rules file. Talking about way back around RELEASE 4.0. Now
ipfilter does not work with 2 rules files for a very long time. It's now
time to clean up the old ipv6 only stuff so the documentation and
/etc/rc.d/ipfilter boot script reflects how it works today. And another
thing to point out is the ipfilter source code has been forked and is
now under Freebsd maintainership.