Re: CFT: major update to if_ure (patch did not apply cleanly for head -r363510) (example PowerMac problem?)

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:44:44 -0700
Mark Millard wrote this message on Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 17:15 -0700:
> On 2020-Jul-27, at 16:43, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Ok, updated it to be relative to r363583...
> >>
> >> I had made a white spcae commit to if_ure.c, but hadn't made the
> >> patch relative to it after that commit.. should work now..
> >
> > I updated an old PowerMac G5 (2 sockets/2 cores each) to
> > head -r363590 with the update patch and tjen plugged in the
> > USB EtherNet device. The result (extracted from dmesg -a)
> > was:
> >
> > usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > ugen2.2: <Unknown > at usbus2 (disconnected)
> > uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'd not tried a PowerMac with the type of
> > device before the update. I do not know if the above is
> > new behavior or not.
> >
> > The PowerMac is big-endian, which is what got me to think
> > about trying it there. The PowerMac is also 64-bit running
> > a 64-bit FreeBSD. Its USB is 2.0.
> >
> > (It also has 2 GigaBit EtherNet ports of its own so I'm not
> > likely to use a USB device outside special testing.)
> >

> I tried what normally shows as an axge0, but
> trying on the PowerMac G5. It got the same sort
> of messages as above. The problem does not seem
> to be tied to your patch.
>
> It does prevent my testing the patch on the G5.

Yeah, I was going to say that the above messages are before any of
may changes get run, so it's unlikely a problem w/ my patch...
If the USB device can't get an address on the bus, then it can't
even ask what type of device it is to load the driver.

Thanks for trying though, maybe someone on the -powerpc list knows
of a fix for that.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579