Re: [CFT] Updated devel/valgrind-devel port

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:03:13 +0300
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 09:49:57PM -0500, Kyle Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > Just a little bit ago, I committed an update[0] to the valgrind-devel
> > port that updates it to Paul Floyd's branch, where he has rebased us
> > forward to 3.17.0 and largely fixed valgrind operation on both 12.x
> > and -CURRENT.
> >
> > He's put in significant effort to get the test suite to pass on
> > FreeBSD, the status of which is summarized here:
> > - https://github.com/paulfloyd/freebsd_valgrind/wiki/Regtest-status
> >
> > Some outstanding issues:
> > - https://github.com/paulfloyd/freebsd_valgrind/issues
> >
> > Please go forth and test it!
> >

> A quick follow-up to note that the new valgrind-devel
> (3.17.0.g20200723,1) is reportedly now available on a pkg mirror near
> you for all three FreeBSD branches, for your convenience.

I have a low prio suggestion for the port.  It seems that when valgrind-devel
is built on 11, it does not know about newer syscalls.  So when this instance
of valgrind is run on 12 or HEAD, it is uncapable of handling new libc.

Is it possible (without too much efforts) to make valgrind forward-compatible,
hopefully just by enabling HEAD syscalls on all builds, instead of limiting
it to the target equal to the build system ?