Re: HEADSUP: GEOM label may be broken [Was Re: svn commit: r361838 - in head/sys/geom: . label]

From: Conrad Meyer <cem_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:52:01 -0700
Hi Xin Li,

Thank you for the report and diagnosis.  Sorry for the breakage.

I have reverted the change and hope to address the issues you have identified.

There seem to be two issues identified:
1. When ZFS attaches to a partition of a disk, the /dev/diskid label disappears.
2. geli(8) attach of symlink labels doesn't work

(1) is interesting, as it does not seem to happen to UFS or swap consumers:

# mount
/dev/gpt/rootfs on / (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
# swapctl -l
Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
/dev/vtbd0p2    1048576         0
# ls -l /dev/diskid/DISK-BHYVE-2613-8EFD-BAF4 /dev/gpt/{rootfs,swapfs}
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  8 May 22 20:18
/dev/diskid/DISK-BHYVE-2613-8EFD-BAF4 -> ../vtbd0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 10 May 22 20:18 /dev/gpt/rootfs -> ../vtbd0p3
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 10 May 22 20:18 /dev/gpt/swapfs -> ../vtbd0p2

I wonder what is different in the ZFS case here.

(2)

# ls -l /dev/gpt/testingeli
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Jun  6 08:33 /dev/gpt/testingeli -> ../md0s1
# geli init /dev/gpt/testingeli
Enter new passphrase:
Reenter new passphrase:
# geli attach /dev/gpt/testingeli
Enter passphrase:
geli: Provider gpt/testingeli is invalid.
geli: There was an error with at least one provider.

So at least the latter problem is straightforward to resolve.  I have
a patch I'm testing locally now, and will upload to phabricator
shortly.

Best regards,
Conrad