Re: CTF: UEFI HTTP boot support

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> > > The "fake cd drive" is in the kernel, loader just copies the iso into
> > > memory like any other module, and by the time that's done you just
> > > reboot into the newly installed system, which again uses
> > >
> > > vfs.root.mountfrom="cd9660:/dev/md0.uzip"
> >                                   ^^^
> >
> > Argh, the cd9660 confused me, I think your doing a
> > "root on mfs/md"?
>
> loader.conf says
>
> rootfs_load="yes"
> rootfs_name="contents.izo"
> rootfs_type="md_image"
> vfs.root.mountfrom="cd9660:/dev/md0.uzip"
>
> contents.izo is uzip'd contents.iso which file(1)
> describes as ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data ''
>
> That's for normal boot, for the loader 'install' command
> it expects an uncompressed iso for rootfs.

Ok, now the puzzle is how much work to get from a stock FreeBSD .iso
image to something that works with this.  Obviously we need a non-stock
/boot/loader.conf file, or to type some commands manually at a loader
prompt.  I believe the stock GENERIC kernel has the md_root support
for this already, so it may not be that hard to do.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org