Re: about loader & console

From: Gordon Bergling <gbergling_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 11:40:00 +0100
Hi Toomas,

thank you very much for telling us your plans for the FreeBSD boot system. I looked a while ago at the illumos and SmartOS boot process myself and found it more appealing compared to what we have at FreeBSD right now.

I had a look at the source repositories and saw that they have something like a frame buffer at the early start of the operating system and this made them able to put graphics at the early boot stage. I made a very basic plan to adapt those changes to FreeBSD, but my knowledge in the corner of the boot process was to limited, to say at least.

Thanks for stepping up on this…

Gordon

PS: You may want to submit your e-mail to the FreeBSD quarterly status report.